Saturday, February 11, 2012

Zam - Bee - Uh! Zam - Bee - Uh!

Greetings!

We have now completed three weeks, and today I am reporting from my ideal spot at the usual internet cafe, but to make it that much better, with a one month-old in my arms. His name is Daniel and he is resting with me while his mom cleans the cafe. I encountered her carrying the baby in her "Chitenge," the most versatile of lengths of colorful cloth, which I've seen used as skirt, infant carrier, or hair wrap among other things. When I offered to hold him for a bit while she worked, she readily agreed. Needless to say I am very much enjoying the arrangement. She seems pleased as well.

As to this past week, may I just say, you might have the superbowl, but we have the African cup. And did I mention, Zambia made it into the finals! This has not happened since 1993, and if I ever surmised this was a God-fearing country I could not be so certain until Wednesday evening when I heard more praise and thanks to "Sweet Jesus" and "Jehova Jirah" than I even heard from inside a Zambian church. I also witnessed all other forms of celebration from jumping to dancing to shrieking to fireworks! And this was only the semi-finals. I am told the president cried on national television when Zambia ultimately lost the finals in 1993. So you can be sure I'll be tuned in for the game this Sunday afternoon and perhaps for some emotional outpouring by the president to follow. Let this be incentive to check in with the blog next week.

On other fronts, the busyness continues. This week held another trip to Ndola and with it my first experience with a popped tire on the bus ride home. We all disembarked, but were fortunate to be picked up by another bus eventually. We only endured about 40 minutes of delay, which I've learned is rather reasonable relative to Zambian time. I also visited all clinics again this week, which additionally held its share of of travel troubles. One particular taxi ride along a very tortured route engendered some anxiety when our car spun out in an especially sloshy stretch of thick mud. With great luck/blessing, though, I happened to be travelling with my Zambian clinic coordinator, who was quick to reprimand our driver for his speedy carelessness. Consequently we continued a very belabored, albeit safe drive to our destination.

This past week also included my first formal training for a group of seven new midwives on protocol for NASG use. With the exception of a few technical difficulties (i.e. an LCD with no screen and no way to dim the lights in the room), we successfully taught all seven women how and when to place the garment. I even donned the "big blue suit" for example's sake. Turns out it's not so uncomfortable, although I imagine this is less true for a woman with a ruptured uterus.

Finally this was my last with my supervisor. Her end date is next Tuesday, so I will direct any questions or challenges to Lusaka during the interim weeks until a new supervisor is hired and trained. (Lusaka is Zambia's capitol and also the site of the largest hospital involved in our study.) It is daunting to think of taking on more responsibility in addition to what I can already barely maintain. However, my short time has already taught me an amazing truth about Zambia. There is a capacity here to accomplish what appears utterly impossible. While many goals seem improbable, they are nonetheless attained. Despite all the best efforts of lacking resources, women are saved every day. Thus far I have seen mother after mother revived from hypovolemic shock, even when blood isn't available for transfusion, or when she has waited hours (4-6) for "emergency" transport to a hospital. Babies are born and live at only 28 weeks of age. And midwives work 14-hour night shifts five nights in a row, and still stand! These realities encourage me and my work, and I hope they can do the same for all of you. With much experience to draw from I know it is not only in Africa that days can feel long and tasks insurmountable. Still know, if it can be done here in the face of rather abismal odds, it can certainly be done! So may this next week be filled with great possibility.

As always these words are sent with so much love and appreciation for each one of you.

Warmly,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment